calls for gun control that have been spurred by the recent tragedy in Aurora, CO, I believe it's a good time to talk about the futility of gun prohibition. As is with demand for anything, demand for guns will always be met with supply from some source, be it legal or black market. Frontline recent reported that only 8% of guns used in crimes are obtained legally. (In other words, the recent mass-shooting was an aberration.) The remaining 92% of guns used in crimes are purchased off the black market from the consumer level of the supply chains of criminal organizations such as Mexican drug cartels, the Russian mob, and Hezbollah. Criminals will always carry guns because 1) demand for guns is inelastic, meaning that it remains relatively constant despite increases in price (often a result of increased law enforcement efforts), and 2) as long as there Mexican drug cartels, a Russian mob, and Hezbollah, there will be a supply of guns to meet demand.
Aurora, CO has strict gun laws that don't prevent criminals from obtaining guns, but do prevent law-abiding citizens from defending themselves in situations such as the massacre at the movie theater. And, because of the recent tragedy, Aurora will unfortunately likely pass even stricter gun laws, perhaps even banning private ownership of guns all together. But it won't keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Because criminals will always demand guns, and criminal organizations will always supply criminals with guns.
Author's note: I find it interesting (and quite frustrating) that the Bible-thumping side of the conservative spectrum seems to understand the futility of gun prohibition, but fails to understand the futility of narcotics prohibition, despite the fact that it's the same damn concept.